Peer Reviewed Publications
Non-Peer Reviewed Publications
White Papers and Academic Matrices
Peer Reviewed Publications
- *Jain S, Arora V, Manning K. March On: Diversity in the Face of Adversity. NEJM. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMpv2026445. Eub ahead of print. December 16, 2020.
- Acquaviva K et al. Documenting Social Media Engagement as Scholarship: A New Model for Assessing Academic Accomplishment for the Health Professions. Journal of Medical Internet Research. 01 Dec 2020, 22(12):e25070
- *Jain S, Pendergrast T, …et al. Research Letter – Survey Study, Personal Attacks and Sexual Harassment of Physicians on Social Media. JAMA Internal Medicine. In press
- **Arora VM…Jain S. Leveling the Playing Field: Accounting for Academic Productivity during COVID-19. Journal of Hospital Medicine. In press
- **Gerull K, Loe M, Swaroop M, Jain S. Lift as you rise: Conference panel co-moderation with trainees. Academic Medicine. October 2020. 95(10):1466.
- Woitowich N, Jain S, Arora V, Joffe Hadine. COVID-19 Threatens Progress Towards Gender Equity within Academic Medicine. Academic Medicine. September 29, 2020.
- Studies looking into “professionalism” would benefit from self-reflection and integrity of the research process. Journal of Vascular Surgery. Sep 18, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2020.07.075
- **Arora V…Jain S. Using the Curriculum Vitae to Promote Gender Equity During the COVID-19 Pandemic. PNAS. September 17, 2020.
- **Santhosh L, Keenan B, Jain S. The “third shift”: a path forward to recognizing and funding gender equity efforts. Journal of Women’s Health. July 31, 2020[Epub ahead of print]
- *Jain S, Englander MJ, Gebhard RE, Moeschler S, Sharkey KM, Silver JK. Disparities in Equity and Inclusion May Impact Professionalism and Adversely Affect Senior Women in Medicine. J Women’s Health. May 21 2020.
- Chowdhary M,…Jain S, et al. Women’s Representation in Leadership Positions in Academic Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology and Surgical Oncology Programs. JAMA Network Open. March 11, 2020.
- *Jain S, Madani K, Flint F, Swaroop M, Liu H, Varghese T, Sinha M, Silver J. What Does It Mean to Be a Male Ally? Implementing Meaningful Change in Gender Representation in Medicine. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. January 17, 2020. [Epub ahead of print].
- *Jain S, Madani KS, Swaroop M. Inaugural Women in Medicine Summit: An Evolution of Empowerment in Chicago, Illinois, September 20 and 21, 2019: Event Highlights, Scientific Abstracts and Dancing with Markers. Int J Acad Med; 5(3):240-301. 2019.
- **Woitowich N, Graff S, Swaroop M, Jain S. Gender-Specific Conferences and Symposia: A Putative Support Structure for Female Physicians. Journal of Women’s Health. 2019 Nov. [Epub ahead of print].
- **Marshall AL, Dversdal RK, Murphy M, Prill DM, Zhang T, Jain S. WOMENtorship: The #WomenInMedicine perspective. Med Teach. 2019 Oct 10; 1-3 [Epub ahead of print]
- Duma N, Durani U, Woods CB, Kankeu Fonkoua LA, Cook JM, Wee C, Fuentes HE, Gonzalez-Velez M, Murphy MC, Jain S, Marshall AL, Graff SL, Knoll MA. Evaluating Unconscious Bias: Speaker Introductions at an International Oncology Conference. J Clin Oncol. 2019 Oct 11; JCO1901608 [Epub ahead of print]
- **A Wang, C Tapia…S. Jain, MD. Barriers to receipt of novel oral oncolytics: A single-institution quality improvement investigation. Journal of Oncology Pharmacy Practice. April 3, 2019.
- E Maestas MD, S. Jain MD, P. Stiff MD. A 54-Year Old Woman with Donor Cell Origin of Multiple Myeloma after Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation for the Treatment of CML. Case Reports in Hematology. Vol. 2016. Article ID 6751914, 3 pages. 2016.
- K Tobin MD, S. Jain MD, S Al Diffalha MD et al. Emerging Role of Fluorodeoxyglucose- PET Imaging in the Diagnosis of Intravascular Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma: A Case Series and Literature Review. Federal Practitioner. 2016 May.
- *S Jain MD, JI Clark. Ipilimumab For the Treatment of Melanoma. Melanoma Management. 2015; 2(1):33-39.
- M Fokkema, JE Vrijenhoek, HM Den Ruijter et al. (collaborator). Stenting Versus Endarterectomy for Restenosis Following Prior Ipsilateral Carotid Endarterectomy: An Individual Patient Data Meta-analysis. Ann Surg. 2014 Jun 27 [Epub ahead of print].
- *S Jain MD, N Shah MD, S Gregory MD. Relapsed Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma-Ten Years Later. Clinical Advances in Hematology & Oncology. 2011 Sep; 9(9): 704-708.
- *S Jain MD, D Chhabra MD. A case of immunotactoid glomerulopathy with rapid progression to end-stage renal disease.The Scientific World Journal. 2009 Dec; 16;9:1348-54.
- SD Kumar, KM Jain MD, S. Jain, JS Munn MD, MC Rummel MD. Fistulogram following Arteriovenous (AV) Dialysis Graft Thrombectomy should be Mandatory. The American Surgeon. 2008 Dec; 74(12):1154-8.
- **MC Rummel, MD, KM Jain, MD, JS Munn, MD, S Vaddineni, MD, T Klemens, RN, S Jain, MD. Office Based Vascular Procedures are Safe and Effective. Midwestern Vascular Surgical Society. Thirty Second Annual Meeting. 2008 Sep:11-13:41.
- *S Jain, KM Jain MD, SD Kumar MD, JS Munn MD, MC Rummel MD. Operative Intervention for Carotid Restenosis Is Safe and Effective. European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery. 2007 Nov; 34(5): 561-568.
- *S Jain, JS Munn MD, EJ Simoni MD, KM Jain MD. Endograft Repair of a Persistent Sciatic Artery Aneurysm. European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery extra. 2004 July; 8.
** Senior Author
Non-Peer Reviewed Publications
- It’s time to address the shadow pandemic of intimate partner violence. KevinMD. December 17, 2020.
- From online education to frontline medicine. KevinMD. December 6, 2020.
- Stuck between a virus and a cold place. KevinMD. December 3, 2020.
- Why Flu Vaccines are More Important than Ever In This Pandemic. KevinMD. October 28, 2020.
- Doctors: Trump is wrong to accuse medical professionals of profiting from diagnosing COVID-19. USA Today. October 27, 2020.
- Telehealth Is Here to Stay: Opportunities and Challenges for Cancer Care. OncLive. October 20, 2020.
- As Doctors, We Took a Pledge to Do No Harm. Our President Should Too. Courier. October 5, 2020.
- To Control COVID-19 and Reboot Economy, Look to Michigan. US News & World Report. September 11, 2020.
- The Messaging of Masks: Overcoming Disinformation. Doximity. August 19, 2020.
- Misinformation and Masking: Salvaging the Message. Medium. August 5, 2020.
- Physician-moms fight back against anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers. KevinMD. August 4, 2020.
- Letters: Is it possible to get kids to wear masks in schools? Yes, and it’s necessary. Chicago Tribune. July 20, 2020.
- Why Sponsorship in Medicine Matters. After Rounds. July 7, 2020.
- Masks are not a partisan issue. They are a public health issue. #AmericaMaskUp. KevinMD. June 19, 2020.
- Responsibility Redefined: Social Media and Healthcare. After Rounds. June 18, 2020.
- Patients avoided ERs before COVID. Now, they’re not coming at all. Crains Chicago. June 16, 2020
- Letters: Police officers, please wear masks. Chicago Tribune. June 16, 2020.
- Trying to Focus on ASCO In the Middle of a Crisis. Doximity. June 15, 2020.
- While businesses may open, avoid business as usual. The Hill. May 14, 2020.
- Choosing a Medical Specialty: Where to Learn What You Need to Know. After Rounds. May 11, 2020.
- Letters: How We Can Reopen Illinois Safely. Chicago Tribune. May 4, 2020.
- All Americans Should Care About When States Reopen. US News & World Report. April 23, 2020.
- Use Science and Evidence to Craft Plan to Reopen Country Amid Coronavirus. US News & World Report. April 16, 2020.
- Taking the Long View: Surviving and Thriving After Social Distancing. Thrive Global. April 16, 2020.
- Preventative Care Must Continue During the Coronavirus Pandemic. US News & World Report. April 13, 2020
- It’s Time for Doctors to Fight For Their Communities. Physician’s Weekly. April 13, 2020.
- 4 Keys to Time Management for Doctors. After Rounds. April 3, 2020.
- Governors Need to Act to Stem the Tide of COVID-19. US News & World Report. April 2, 2020.
- The Mother of All Burdens: COVID-19 and Physician Parents. Ms. Magazine April 1, 2020.
- Take the Pledge To be 6ftApartNotUnder and Advocate for Social Distancing. KevinMD. March 29, 2020.
- I am a Physician, and I am Scared. KevinMD. March 28, 2020.
- Look for the Helpers: Physicians Using Their Voices to Educate During Pandemic. Morning Consult. March 26, 2020
- Women in Medicine Face Unique Challenges. After Rounds. March 17, 2020.
- When the Doctor is Sick. Tough choices to make. The Hill. February 19, 2020.
- Treating New Concerns: The Cardio-Oncologist Will See You Now. Scientific American. February 6, 2020.
- Professionalism in the Era of Social Media. SoMeDocs. January 23, 2020.
- Without A Fight: Cancer is Not a Battle To Be Won. Scientific American. January 16,2020.
- Make Schools Safe Requiring Vaccines in Schools. The Hill. December 31, 2019.
- Closing the Health Care Connection Gap. US News & World Report. December 12, 2019.
- Development of a Safe Administration PRRT Process in an Ambulatory Academic Setting. Oncology Nursing News. August 12, 2019.
- It’s Time for Women in Medicine to Get Their Moonshot. KevinMD.com. October 5, 2019.
- Can Gender Disparities in Health Care Be Fixed? US News & World Report. Sep 27, 2019.
- Speaking Secrets: Shikha Jain, MD. SoMeDocs. August 20, 2019.
- The Pitfalls & Imperatives of Evaluating Women’s Leadership. Physician’s Weekly. Aug 9, 2019
- Gender Equity needs a Diagnostic Approach. Doximity. June 10, 2019.
- How to Be an Effective Physician Leader: Strategies for Those With Formal or Informal Authority. Physician’s Weekly. March 13, 2019.
- How Can Doctors Stop Fake Medical News. KevinMD.com. Feb 27, 2019.
- An Oncologist’s Battle with Imposter Syndrome. KevinMD.com. Feb 25, 2019.
- The Future Belongs to Those Who Mentor. ASCO Connection. Guest Commentary. Dec 11, 2018.
- Op-Eds and Advocacy: Pointers for Writing an Op-Ed. SoMeDocs. November 19, 2018.
- We Don’t Need to Fix Women, We Need to Fix the Leaky Leadership Pipeline. Women In White Coats. December 12, 2018.
- We Do Not Need to Fix women, We Need to Fix the System. Doximity. OpEd. November 10, 2018.
- Tips For New Doctors (and a Few for New Attendings). ASCO Connection. Guest Commentary. July 30, 2018.
- Representing the Hematology & Oncology Physician Women Wolfpack Group at ASCO 2018. Doximity. OpEd. June 19, 2018.
- How Barbara Bush’s legacy can help us rediscover the benefits of palliative care and hospice. KevinMD.com. May 21, 2018.
- A Cancer Patient’s Ever-Growing Bucket List. Doximity. OpEd. April 4, 2018.
- Why Oncology Is an Intimate Field. Doximity. OpEd. March 13, 2018
- Immunology Study Shines New Light on Oncology Treatment. Doximity. OpEd. January 2018.
- The Oral Contraceptives PR Problem. KevinMD.com. July 27, 2017.
- Why I would still encourage my daughter to go into medicine. KevinMD.com. Feb 5 2017.
White Papers and Academic Matrices
1. Social Media, Podcasts, and Blogs on a Residency/Fellowship ERAS Application. July 2020.
2. COVID19 Contribution Matrix Addendum for CV. June 2020.